The 12 months’s finish tends to immediate reflection on the earlier 12 months and plans for the 12 months forward. You might spend time assessing what labored in your content material program, what didn’t, and what you are able to do otherwise subsequent 12 months.
If you’re a content material govt or chief, these reflections may affect the place you direct these treasured content material advertising budgets and assets in 2023.
For particular person contributors and managers, these reflections may affect how you are feeling about your present function and future profession strikes.
As you are taking this time to mirror and plan, use CMI’s current analysis findings so as to add context to your evaluation and reinforce any choices you make.
What to learn about your content material advertising profession – and your crew’s
Our (first) Content Marketing Career & Salary 2023 Outlook (registration required) discovered:
As we wrote in the report, many content material entrepreneurs are “poised and ready to leap when the right opportunity comes along – meaning the Great Resignation may be far from over.”
- 54% of content material entrepreneurs really feel they need to be paid extra.
- The median wage for U.S.-based content material entrepreneurs who work for an employer (i.e., are usually not self-employed) is $82,738.
- Women in content material advertising make roughly 80 cents on the greenback in comparison with males – the U.S. median content material advertising wage for ladies is $79,891 and for males is $99,265.
- 31% of ladies in content material advertising maintain director-level and above positions, in comparison with 48% of males.
- Just 23% of content material entrepreneurs report that they’ve a transparent path for development inside their present firm.
- 57% of content material entrepreneurs are both planning to search out one other job in 2023 or are uncertain about their subsequent steps.
- 24% of content material entrepreneurs say they’re extraordinarily or very careworn at work; ladies report greater stress ranges (32% greater than males) and decrease ranges of job satisfaction (11% decrease than males).
Just 23% in #ContentMarketing say they have a path for advancement in their current company, says @LisaBeets via @CMIContent. Can we change this in 2023? Click To Tweet
What to do on your profession
If you watched you’re underpaid, begin by researching what others in your place make, as Ann Gynn advises in the article Content Marketers: Here’s How To Ask for (and Get) the Salary You Want.
In addition to CMI’s wage analysis, Ann mentions this salary tool from Creative Circle that exhibits common pay by job title and placement. Another analysis possibility: Check the wage bands listed for open content material advertising jobs.
Once you’ve a greater sense of how your pay stacks up, begin getting ready a case for a elevate based mostly in your current accomplishments. Ann suggests you take into account how your function has modified, the enterprise impression of your work, and any optimistic suggestions you’ve gotten from others at work. Then, determine what you’ll ask for (and options you may counsel if a wage enhance isn’t potential).
What to do on your crew
First, in case your group lacks a profession ladder for content material roles, collaborate together with your HR companions to develop one. For a head begin on the method, use the framework Robert Rose shared in this text: Don’t Let Content Marketing Be a Dead-End Career.
Then, prepare for requests for raises. Inflation and the growing significance of content material advertising in organizations (extra on that in the subsequent part) make these requests virtually inevitable.
Advocating on your crew might enable you hold them round. Recent SHRM (Society for Human Resources Management) analysis discovered that inadequate compensation is the principle issue in worker turnover.
The identical analysis discovered the common compensation enhance in 2023 to be 4.6%, effectively under the inflation charge. Think about what else you are able to do to acknowledge and reward staff (take into account choices like extra days off, participation in high-profile tasks, or a change in title).
Finally, spend a while getting ready to reply questions on pay fairness. With extra states adopting wage transparency legal guidelines, staff might speak extra brazenly with one another about their pay.
A current Harvard Business Review article shares methods you possibly can prepare to discuss pay equity questions, even if you happen to don’t have full management over your crew’s salaries. The article suggests researching:
- What elements your organization considers to find out salaries
- How the corporate critiques salaries to find out in the event that they’re aggressive (and what’s potential in the event that they’re not)
- Where your staff’ pay sits inside the wage bands (and why)
If you’re hiring subsequent 12 months, don’t take a one-size-fits-all strategy. Tailor your presents to what issues most to the candidate. When contemplating new content material advertising alternatives, CMI’s research discovered that Baby Boom and Gen X staff are most in discovering a cultural match. In distinction, Millennials prioritize greater compensation and versatile work.
Get ready to discuss pay equity on your #ContentMarketing team in 2023, says @LisaBeets via @CMIContent. Click To Tweet
What to know when planning your 2023 B2B content material
This 12 months’s annual B2B analysis uncovered some areas the place content material entrepreneurs may have extra help from their organizations. Consider these findings:
- 71% of B2B entrepreneurs say content material advertising has turn out to be extra vital to their group in the final 12 months.
- 40% of B2B entrepreneurs have a documented content material advertising technique; one other 33% have a technique, nevertheless it’s not documented, and one other 27% don’t have any technique in any respect.
- Just 29% of B2B entrepreneurs say their group is extraordinarily or very profitable with content material advertising.
- 64% of those that say their group may be very or extraordinarily profitable with content material advertising have a documented content material advertising technique.
- 47% of B2B entrepreneurs suppose their group will rent or contract content material producers in 2023.
- 46% of B2B entrepreneurs say one group (or individual) handles all varieties of content material in their group (together with promoting, thought management, brochures, web optimization content material, and many others.).
- 49% of B2B entrepreneurs used in-person occasions in the final 12 months; in-person occasions are additionally the content material sort that produced the most effective content material advertising outcomes in the earlier 12 months; digital occasions got here in an in depth second, adopted by analysis studies.
- 57% of B2B entrepreneurs anticipate funding in social media/group constructing throughout 2023, up from 37% the earlier 12 months.
- 89% of B2B content material entrepreneurs use brief articles/posts, making them the highest sort of content material used; video comes in second, with 75% utilizing video, up from 66% the earlier 12 months.
- 78% of B2B entrepreneurs anticipate funding in video throughout 2023, up from 69% the earlier 12 months.
Do you have enough #Content resources for 2023? For 46% of B2B marketers, one group handles all content (ads, thought leadership, sales content, etc.), says @LisaBeets via @CMIContent. Click To Tweet
What to do
Has content material advertising turn out to be extra essential to your group (because it has for thus many)? Have you gotten finances will increase to help it? If not, speak together with your division head in regards to the impression content material advertising has had, together with any current or deliberate modifications to scope.
This article on How To Explain Content Marketing ROI to Win (or Keep) Buy-In presents solutions on the best way to speak about content material advertising’s impression in phrases executives perceive. (You’ll have precise numbers to substitute for the estimates the article suggests.)
You additionally may wish to evaluation your current reporting to be sure you’re displaying outcomes in methods enterprise leaders discover significant. Remember, it’s not solely in regards to the numbers – you might want to inform the story behind the numbers. You’ll discover solutions for a way to try this right here: Stop Making These Reporting Mistakes (If You Want To Keep Your Content Budget)
Explaining content material advertising’s worth to the enterprise ought to enable you get the assets you might want to plan, create, distribute, and measure content material (together with extra in-house or outsourced employees).
If these numbers persuade you to do just one factor, let or not it’s to doc (or replace) your content material advertising technique. Every 12 months, our analysis exhibits that content material entrepreneurs who really feel their packages are profitable doc their technique – and people who don’t really feel profitable don’t have a documented technique. A written, shareable content material advertising technique will enable you make a case for the assets you might want to help every part you wish to do in 2023 – and can hold your crew on observe as you execute.
Try this accessible course of to get the technique to create yours: How To Write a 1-Page Content Marketing Strategy.
What to know to plan your 2023 video technique
Video’s significance in advertising continues to expertise development throughout all segments (B2B, B2C, nonprofit, and many others.), as our video analysis exhibits. Among the newest findings:
- 73% of entrepreneurs say movies have turn out to be extra vital to their enterprise in the final 12 months.
- 69% of entrepreneurs say they largely produce movies in-house.
- 52% of entrepreneurs say movies starting from one to 3 minutes lengthy have been most profitable for his or her content material advertising.
- 31% of entrepreneurs say their key viewers appears to favor video over different content material varieties.
- Just 12% of entrepreneurs say their group makes use of movies to their full potential.
- 85% of entrepreneurs say they get common or below-average outcomes with their movies.
- 59% of entrepreneurs say the highest factor they would want to get higher outcomes with video is a video technique.
- 64% of entrepreneurs anticipate their video finances to extend in 2023 in contrast with 2022.
- 74% of entrepreneurs suppose their group wants to take a position extra in video.
What to do
Now is the time to combine video into your technique for 2023.
As Andy Crestodina stated in my article in regards to the analysis findings, “Video is a ‘show-me’ medium. Without a strategy documenting how you will show instead of tell, a clearly defined outcome, and the resources you require, much of your time spent on video won’t bear fruit.”
Assess your video funding throughout 2022. Was it sufficient? If not, will you get extra finances in 2023? If not, how will you profit from the obtainable assets?
Consider your group’s targets for 2023. If it desires to:
- Increase thought management: Consider allocating extra finances towards informational movies with executives
- Increase model consciousness: Consider brief, personalized movies for every social platform on which you wish to be lively
- Move extra prospects by way of the client’s journey: Consider a sequence of movies targeted on storytelling about your group, its clients, and the options provided.
Yes, that feels like a variety of movies to supply. But bear in mind, you don’t have to begin every one from scratch – and you’ll flip your movies into different content material codecs. The article How To Repurpose Video Content for Bigger and Better Results presents many solutions for filling out your content material menu by planning to reuse and repurpose current and new movies.
For extra video technique inspiration, learn the tales and classes from the video advertising initiatives honored in the 2022 Content Marketing Awards: 4 Ways To Win With Video – the ‘It’ Content Format for 2023 [Research and Examples]
Make 2023 a strategic success
Statistics alone not often persuade anybody of something. But they’ll reinforce the tales you inform.
Use these statistics and associated assets to make a case for the assets you want, doc a profitable content material technique, and determine how large a job video will play in your 2023 plans.
Bookmark this web page for simple entry to all CMI analysis research. And subscribe to each day or weekly alerts to get notified of each new research.
Cover picture by Joseph Kalinowski/Content Marketing Institute